First Baptist Church of Mount Olive is a church with deep roots grounded in our history and tradition. The church was organized in October 1863 by a group of Baptists in the Thunder Swamp Baptist Church. The original nineteen-member congregation erected a building on Breazeale Avenue and College Street. This building was moved to the present site at the corner of North Chestnut and West John Streets in 1875. In May 1911, the building was sold and moved across the street from the church site. Work began on a new structure and was completed June 16, 1912. An Estey pipe organ was installed in November 1927.
On May 20, 1962, the present education building was occupied and dedicated. The sanctuary renovation was completed in 1973. This included a nineteen-rank pipe organ.
In 2009 the Christian Life Center was dedicated. The building that was once a grocery store and egg factory is now the center of much of our ministries like Meals on Wheels, Warm the World, and others.
The church celebrated its 150 anniversary in 2013. The Sanctuary building was renovated in 2016 to allow for a more open worship. The renovation also include the installation of screens to aid our congregation during worship.
More about our deep roots can be learned by visiting our Heritage Room in the Education Building.