FBCMO has a food pantry that provides assistance for people in our community. Last year over 50 bags of food were provided to families in our community. The food pantry also feed National Guard members who were helping with hurricane recovery and food to the local hurricane shelter.
Operation Inasmuch is held at First Baptist Church annually. It has been named Operation Inasmuch because of Jesus’ words in Matthew 25:40: “Inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these my brothers and sisters, you have done it unto me”. It is a one day blitz where the people of First Baptist do missions in the Mount Olive community.
Several of our members belong to a group called “Fishers of Men” which goes annually to Honduras to provide witness in word and deed to the Honduran people. They also hold Vacation Bible School, Bible studies and other activities that share with the people of Honduras the love of Jesus Christ.
Our youth also take part in mission projects like hurricane clean up, a sleep out to raise awareness of homelessness, and mission trips.
Baptist Men of First Baptist Church
The Baptist Men of First Baptist Church, Mount Olive, is a missions oriented group providing hands-on mission experiences for the men and boys of the church. Group members participate in mission projects coordinated by the North Carolina Baptist Men as well as local mission projects.
Special church projects carried out by the Baptist Men include:
- Repairing bicycles for Christmas gifts to the underprivileged
- Leading the Sunday morning worship service on Baptist Men’s Day
- A New Year’s Eve dinner and celebration at the church
- A father and son outing
- A Baptist Men’s fishing trip
- Building handicap ramps and working with Habitat for Humanity
Meetings of the Baptist Men
1st Sunday of each month at 7:30 a.m. for breakfast and business meeting in the Fellowship Hall.
Women on Mission
Our women’s mission groups challenge church members to understand and to be involved in the mission of God. This challenge is met by three basic objectives:
- Through missions education, members learn and study the needs of our world and how missionaries and lay people are meeting these needs.
- During regularly scheduled meetings, training programs and resources are offered to equip members in helping and teaching others.
- Through hands-on mission opportunities, members are encouraged to serve others in the name of Jesus Christ.
Area Churches in Action
The purpose of Mount Olive Area Churches in Action (ACIA) is to promote the cooperative efforts of area churches in the ministry areas of crisis, education and fellowship. Its standing committees include the Food Pantry, Thrift Store, CROP (plans the annual CROP walk fundraiser for local and world hunger), and special projects
Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity of Mount Olive has built five new homes in Mount Olive in the past! First Baptist Church is a major partner of Habitat.
Spoken Word Ministries
Located in Mount Olive, Spoken Word Ministries is a ministry for the blind. Spoken Word sends tape recordings of scripture and teaching all over the world.